Monday, January 11, 2016

B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant Q&A

So after nearly two months of working on this, I finally finished my video project, B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant. It is a video that I am very proud of, since it hasn't been done at this level by video savvy fans of the Resident Evil series before today. During the video's creation, I've been asked multiple questions regarding little video's creation, some technical, some personal, so I thought I'd share my questions and answers on this Blogger post. (Originally posted in June, 2015)

So what is B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant? 

B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant is an info video dedicated to the Tyrant-type B.O.W.s created by the Umbrella Corporation in CAPCOM's Resident Evil game series. It can be seen here on YouTube in fabulous high definition *laughs*.

The T-103, also known as Mr. X in both Prima's RE 2 strategy guide and S.D. Perry's novel adaptation of the game.

What made you want to make B.O.W. Battle Data – Tyrant?

I’ve always been a huge fan of the Resident Evil franchise. The Tyrants have always made a terrifying presence in the first half of the RE game series. A lot of the fan videos I’ve seen on YouTube that focused on the Tyrants were either slideshows of concept art or tribute music videos with spliced clips. After seeing the Heroes Mode Trailer from Resident Evil - Operation Raccoon City, I wanted to make something in the same style as that trailer, but focused more on the Tyrant-type B.O.W.s rather than the heroes and villains of the earlier RE games. Elements from ScrewAttack’s Death Battle videos and the ending character bios from Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins also helped me with this.


What program(s) did you use make B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant?

I used Adobe After Effects for the animation, Photoshop for the Tyrant stills and the text graphics and WavePad for the video’s sounds and BGM.


What was the toughest part about making B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant?

Learning how to use After Effects. I’ve never used AE before, having to rely on Macromedia Flash 101 from high school, and other Adobe graphic design programs to start off with. Thankfully there wasn’t anything too complicated, and the wonderful tutorials on YouTube helped me learn how to use motion tweaks, that command prompt effect, the flash transitions, etc.


Since this is a Tyrant video, I noticed that the T-092, the Parasite Super Tyrant and the Tyrants from Damnation weren’t included in B.O.W. Battle Data. Any reason why they didn’t make the cut?

There were a lot of Tyrants that I wanted to use, but finding pics that were presentable for 720p was tough to find. That and the video would’ve been much longer than it already is, so I restricted it to including the Tyrants that were intentionally made by Umbrella. The T-092 from Dead Aim was born out of desperation and circumstance after Morpheus D. Duvall was gravely wounded by Fong Ling, while the Parasite Super Tyrant was considered a mutation since the NE-β Type parasite grafted itself onto a T-103, transforming it into a hybrid creature. The Tyrants from Damnation were likely created after Umbrella’s downfall, as their size and power limiter design were quiet different compared to the T-103s we all know and love.


Will there be any more B.O.W. Battle Data videos like the one with the Tyrants?

I’ll be taking the summer off from video production, but when fall comes I plan on working on B.O.W. Battle Data – Zombie Evolution. That one will focus the V-ACT transformations that the T-Virus zombies go through as either Crimson Heads or Lickers. After that, I have no plans on making other B.O.W. Battle Data videos.

Coming this fall, B.O.W. Battle Data - Zombie Evolution. Zombie > Licker or Crimson Head


Why not work on a Battle Data video on the more modern enemies in the Resident Evil world like Haos, Las Plagas or the Majini?

No interest *laughs*. As much as I like the monsters from those games, the ones from the earlier games had a greater impact on me. Maybe my videos will inspire others to make videos like that just like how the Heroes Mode Trailer inspired me to make B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant.


Any words of advice to those inspiring in video production.

Don’t let your lack of knowledge limit your creativity in making things. If you don’t know how to do something, look it up! Google and YouTube had great resources in helping me make B.O.W. Battle Data – Tyrant be more than just an idea. And if something doesn’t quite work out, improvise!




You can check out B.O.W. Battle Data - Tyrant and other great videos from the Lunar Indie Studios official YouTube channel.

Lunar Indie Studios is a creative smorgasbord that focuses on art, literature and video. 
You can visit Lunar Indie Studios on their official website site, Facebook or Twitter 
for updates on their latest projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment